Sunday, August 1, 2010

8/1 Peanuts

It's Sunday, going to take it easy.  Check out this very unique online exhibit:
Schulz's Beethoven: Schroeder's Muse.

Apparently in the Peanuts cartoon strip (you know, "Charlie Brown"?) the character Schroeder has not been playing random melodies like I always thought, but actual compositions by Beethoven!  In fact he has performed these following pieces:

Piano Sonata in F Minor, Opus 2, no. 1
Piano Sonata in A Major, Opus 2, no. 2
Piano Sonata in C Minor, Opus 10, no. 1 ("Little Pathétique")
Piano Sonata in F Major, Opus 10, no. 2
Piano Sonata in C in Minor, Opus 13 ("Pathétique")
Piano Sonata in B-flat Major, Opus 22
Piano Sonata quasi una fantasia, C-sharp Minor, Opus 27, no. 2 ("Moonlight")
Piano Sonata in D Major, Opus 28
Piano Sonata in G Minor, Opus 49, no. 2
Piano Sonata in B-flat Major, Opus 106 (Hammerklavier)
Piano Sonata in A-flat Major, Opus 110
Bagatelle in G Minor, Opus 119, no. 1
Ecossaise in E-flat Major, WoO 83, no. 2
Ecossaise in E-flat Major, WoO 83, no. 6
"Für Elise," WoO 59


I think the one where he played the Op 134 Grosse Fugue for piano is banned (joke).

So, in this online exhibit you will see Peanuts comics come to life...musically at least.  Courtesy of the Ira F. Brilliant Center for Beethoven Studies.


2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you posted this link! I am just acquainting myself with your excellent blog and going through the archives. A few days ago I found out about this blog on the Amazon Beethoven Community and had suggested you post this link---sorry I had not explored here more first! (I deleted that post) Growing up in the "Peanuts" years, and never paying much attention to the comics, I never knew there was this Schroeder/Beethoven connection---I've gained a whole new respect for Charles Schulz because of this impressive, huge, online exhibit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in total agreement, that's a fantastic online exhibit. There's so much cool stuff related to Beethoven on the internet - pretty good for a guy born 240 years ago!

    ReplyDelete